Download Mozilla Firefox, a free Web browser. Firefox is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control online. Get Firefox for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android and iOS today! While VMD has supported 64-bit platforms for 20 years, the 'catch' in support for 64-bit MacOS X is that 64-bit MacOS X requires different graphical user interface APIs in 64-bit mode than it does in 32-bit mode, resulting in some ongoing stability problems for the FLTK and Tk libraries that VMD depends on.
VMD plugin library
Molecular file formats
Interactive molecular dynamics
Programs that use VMD
VMD research publications
How to cite VMD
VMD citation list (24,000 as of Apr'18)
Download (all versions)
VMD 1.9.3 (MacOS X, Unix, Windows)
VMD 1.9.2 (MacOS X, Unix, Windows)
VMD 1.9.1 (MacOS X, Unix, Windows)
VMD script library
License, Copyright and Disclaimer
Documentation and SupportUser and installation guides
VMD-L mailing list
Publication image tutorial (YouTube)
News and Announcements
Scalable molecular dynamics on CPU and GPU architectures with NAMD, JCP, 2020
VMD test builds for MacOS X 10.15 'Catalina' (April 24, 2020)
Atoms to Phenotypes: Molecular Design Principles of Cellular Energy Metabolism, Cell, 2019
An Accessible Visual Narrative for the Primary Energy Source of Life from the Fulldome Show Birth of Planet Earth: Movie Paper
High-Performance Analysis of Biomolecular Containers to Measure Small-Molecule Transport, Transbilayer Lipid Diffusion, and Protein Cavities, JCIM, 2019
Birth of Planet Earth excerpt created using VMD selected for Siggraph Electronic Theater, Siggraph 2019
19,200 human protein structures visualized with VMD, Kresten Lindorff-Larsen
NanoShaper-VMD interface: computing and visualizing surfaces, pockets and channels in molecular systems, Bioinformatics, 2019
An Accessible Visual Narrative for the Primary Energy Source of Life from the Fulldome Show Birth of Planet Earth, 1st Place Winner, SC'19 Viz. Showcase
Chromatophore VR demo (VMD + Unreal Game Engine) shown in NVIDIA booth at SC'16
Example VMD VR/3-D YouTube videos
Chemical Visualization of Human Pathogens: the Retroviral Capsids, Finalist, SC'15 Viz. Showcase
Visualization of Energy Conversion Processes in a Light Harvesting Organelle at Atomic Detail, 1st Place Winner, SC'14 Viz. Showcase
VMD movie gallery on YouTube
Gallery of Posters, Images, and Movies made with VMD
VMD running in the NanoDome at Temple University
VMD User Survey Results
VMD development status and pre-release test downloads
CVS source code access
VMD Programmer's documentation
Problem With Vmd Download Macro
A powerful and reliable molecular visualization program for displaying, animating and analyzing large biomolecular systems using 3-D graphics
What's new in VMD 1.9.3:
- Major features included in VMD 1.9.3:
- Connecting the user-friendly molecular graphics program VMD to the widely adopted MD program NAMD, the new QwikMD plugin guides users to prepare common molecular simulations in just a few minutes, allowing for quickly study of point mutations, partial deletions or even steering experiments. While making it easy for a new user to perform simulations, QwikMD also works as a learning tool with 'info buttons' that guide the user and provide the theoretical background underlying the procedures that are followed. Each 'info button' generates a window where the user can find fundamental information related to Molecular Dynamics simulations, such as the description of solvent models and protein structure, as well as short explanations of the options available in QwikMD graphical interface and the actions triggered by the buttons. For more information, the user is redirected to web-pages through links present in the bottom of the information window. QwikMD incorporates logging of procedures for reproducibility, and to enable simulation workflows and protocols to be shared among users.
- The Force Field Toolkit (ffTK) plugin provides a comprehensive toolset for the development of CHARMM-compatible (e.g., CGenFF) force field parameters, including charges, bonds, angles, and dihedrals. Two new major features have been added to the Force Field Toolkit for the VMD 1.9.3 release.
VMD is the tool you need to use when you have to analyze proteins, lipid bilayer assemblies and nucleic acids.
The application allows you to view general molecules, and it even comes with complete support for the Protein Data Bank. It requires you to enter the ID or download the molecule, then it displays the protein structure in a snap.
VMD comes with multiple methods of coloring and rendering a molecule, by using CPK spheres, cartoon drawing, licorice bonds or cylinders.
The tool makes it easier to analyze and animate the trajectory of molecular dynamics. Furthermore, VMD acts as a GUI for an external MD program by animating a molecule simulation.
VMD comes with complete support for GPU accelerated computation and multicore processors. It doesn't have a limit for the number of atoms, residues, molecules and trajectory frames it can use, since these are limited only by the amount of memory you have installed on your Mac.
In addition, VMD provides the ability to export graphics to a file which can easily be processed by a large number of ray tracing applications.
VMD includes stereo display capability and provides support for more than 60 different molecular formats.
VMD provides a multiple sequence alignment plugin but it also includes a bioinformatics environment created to organize structure data for nucleic acids and proteins.
Limitations in the unregistered version
- You have to register in order to download.
VMD 1.9.3add to watchlistsend us an update
- runs on:
- Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later (Intel only)
- file size:
- 25.4 MB
- main category:
- visit homepage
top alternatives FREE
top alternatives PAID