So, you’ve decided to download an older version of Mac OS X. There are many reasons that could point you to this radical decision. To begin with, some of your apps may not be working properly (or simply crash) on newer operating systems. Also, you may have noticed your Mac’s performance went down right after the last update. Finally, if you want to run a parallel copy of Mac OS X on a virtual machine, you too will need a working installation file of an older Mac OS X. Further down we’ll explain where to get one and what problems you may face down the road.
Nov 29, 2017 The following method allows you to download Mac OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks. Start your Mac holding down Command + R. Prepare a clean external drive (at least 10 GB of storage). Apple Mac OS X Lion is now available to general public. The Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is available for installation only from the Mac App Store. This guide will teach you how to create a bootable USB Flash drive of Mac OS X Lion 10.7 and install Lion from USB, rather than downloading it from Mac App Store on each and every Mac computer you own. Sep 07, 2019 Download Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 DMG for mac free offline setup. It is an amazing system that enhances the compatibility and performance of your system. We are providing install the standalone setup of Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 in single direct link.
A list of all Mac OS X versions
We’ll be repeatedly referring to these Apple OS versions below, so it’s good to know the basic macOS timeline.
|Cheetah 10.0||Puma 10.1||Jaguar 10.2|
|Panther 10.3||Tiger 10.4||Leopard 10.5|
|Snow Leopard 10.6||Lion 10.7||Mountain Lion 10.8|
|Mavericks 10.9||Yosemite 10.10||El Capitan 10.11|
|Sierra 10.12||High Sierra 10.13||Mojave 10.14|
STEP 1. Prepare your Mac for installation
Given your Mac isn’t new and is filled with data, you will probably need enough free space on your Mac. This includes not just space for the OS itself but also space for other applications and your user data. One more argument is that the free space on your disk translates into virtual memory so your apps have “fuel” to operate on. The chart below tells you how much free space is needed.
Note, that it is recommended that you install OS on a clean drive. Next, you will need enough disk space available, for example, to create Recovery Partition. Here are some ideas to free up space on your drive:
- Uninstall large unused apps
- Empty Trash Bin and Downloads
- Locate the biggest files on your computer:
Go to Finder > All My Files > Arrange by size
Then you can move your space hoggers onto an external drive or a cloud storage.
If you aren’t comfortable with cleaning the Mac manually, there are some nice automatic “room cleaners”. Our favorite is CleanMyMac as it’s most simple to use of all. It deletes system junk, old broken apps, and the rest of hidden junk on your drive.
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.4 - 10.8 (free version)
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.9 (free version)
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.10 - 10.14 (free version)
STEP 2. Get a copy of Mac OS X download
Normally, it is assumed that updating OS is a one-way road. That’s why going back to a past Apple OS version is problematic. The main challenge is to download the OS installation file itself, because your Mac may already be running a newer version. If you succeed in downloading the OS installation, your next step is to create a bootable USB or DVD and then reinstall the OS on your computer.
How to download older Mac OS X versions via the App Store
If you once had purchased an old version of Mac OS X from the App Store, open it and go to the Purchased tab. There you’ll find all the installers you can download. However, it doesn’t always work that way. The purchased section lists only those operating systems that you had downloaded in the past. But here is the path to check it:
- Click the App Store icon.
- Click Purchases in the top menu.
- Scroll down to find the preferred OS X version.
- Click Download.
This method allows you to download Mavericks and Yosemite by logging with your Apple ID — only if you previously downloaded them from the Mac App Store.
Without App Store: Download Mac OS version as Apple Developer
If you are signed with an Apple Developer account, you can get access to products that are no longer listed on the App Store. If you desperately need a lower OS X version build, consider creating a new Developer account among other options. The membership cost is $99/year and provides a bunch of perks unavailable to ordinary users.
Nevertheless, keep in mind that if you visit developer.apple.com/downloads, you can only find 10.3-10.6 OS X operating systems there. Newer versions are not available because starting Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.7, the App Store has become the only source of updating Apple OS versions.
Purchase an older version of Mac operating system
You can purchase a boxed or email version of past Mac OS X directly from Apple. Both will cost you around $20. For the reason of being rather antiquated, Snow Leopard and earlier Apple versions can only be installed from DVD.
Buy a boxed edition of Snow Leopard 10.6
Get an email copy of Lion 10.7
Get an email copy of Mountain Lion 10.8
The email edition comes with a special download code you can use for the Mac App Store. Note, that to install the Lion or Mountain Lion, your Mac needs to be running Snow Leopard so you can install the newer OS on top of it.
How to get macOS El Capitan download
If you are wondering if you can run El Capitan on an older Mac, rejoice as it’s possible too. But before your Mac can run El Capitan it has to be updated to OS X 10.6.8. So, here are main steps you should take:
1. Install Snow Leopard from install DVD.
2. Update to 10.6.8 using Software Update.
3. Download El Capitan here.
“I can’t download an old version of Mac OS X”
If you have a newer Mac, there is no physical option to install Mac OS versions older than your current Mac model. For instance, if your MacBook was released in 2014, don’t expect it to run any OS released prior of that time, because older Apple OS versions simply do not include hardware drivers for your Mac.
But as it often happens, workarounds are possible. There is still a chance to download the installation file if you have an access to a Mac (or virtual machine) running that operating system. For example, to get an installer for Lion, you may ask a friend who has Lion-operated Mac or, once again, set up a virtual machine running Lion. Then you will need to prepare an external drive to download the installation file using OS X Utilities.
After you’ve completed the download, the installer should launch automatically, but you can click Cancel and copy the file you need. Below is the detailed instruction how to do it.
STEP 3. Install older OS X onto an external drive
The following method allows you to download Mac OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks.
- Start your Mac holding down Command + R.
- Prepare a clean external drive (at least 10 GB of storage).
- Within OS X Utilities, choose Reinstall OS X.
- Select external drive as a source.
- Enter your Apple ID.
Now the OS should start downloading automatically onto the external drive. After the download is complete, your Mac will prompt you to do a restart, but at this point, you should completely shut it down. Now that the installation file is “captured” onto your external drive, you can reinstall the OS, this time running the file on your Mac.
- Boot your Mac from your standard drive.
- Connect the external drive.
- Go to external drive > OS X Install Data.
Locate InstallESD.dmg disk image file — this is the file you need to reinstall Lion OS X. The same steps are valid for Mountain Lion and Mavericks.
How to downgrade a Mac running later macOS versions
If your Mac runs macOS Sierra 10.12 or macOS High Sierra 10.13, it is possible to revert it to the previous system if you are not satisfied with the experience. You can do it either with Time Machine or by creating a bootable USB or external drive.
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Sierra
Instruction to downgrade from macOS High Sierra
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Mojave
Mac Os X Update
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Catalina
Before you do it, the best advice is to back your Mac up so your most important files stay intact. In addition to that, it makes sense to clean up your Mac from old system junk files and application leftovers. The easiest way to do it is to run CleanMyMac X on your machine (download it for free here).
Visit your local Apple Store to download older OS X version
If none of the options to get older OS X worked, pay a visit to nearest local Apple Store. They should have image installations going back to OS Leopard and earlier. You can also ask their assistance to create a bootable USB drive with the installation file. So here you are. We hope this article has helped you to download an old version of Mac OS X. Below are a few more links you may find interesting.
These might also interest you:
The Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO stands thirteenth in the Mac OS arrangement. Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO propelled in mid-2016 made an uncommon passage into the market after the OS X. Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO made a progressive move from the ongoing patterns in the Mac OS history. The Mac OS arrangement had a few issues when it went to the graphical UI which was disapproved of by numerous Apple clients. The Mac OS Mountain Lion broke the ice with its discharge ending up being the top tier as far as graphical UI just as equipment interfacing.
The Mac OS Mountain Lion beta form had the best similarity results contrasted with all different OS discharged by apple in 2016. The Mac Mountain Lion picked up the trust of the end-clients with the expansion of Siri and Apple pay support in safari. To know more about macOS Sierra 10.12 ISO and DMG Image, visit our page for the details.
Overview of MacOS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO
The Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO varied from its successors with progressive highlights that pulled the working framework into radical development in the market. The general look and intrigue of the working framework underuse appeared to be the motivation behind why the end-clients cherished the working framework upon its discharge. Here are a few highlights you should not miss in the event that you are a Mac OS sierra client.
Download Os X Lion Installer
- The Code-sign plate highlight would assist the designer with adding his very own mark so it can’t be altered by an aggressor. In the event that the assailant attempts to contaminate the product with his pernicious code, he would need to re-compose his documents under another record circle that won’t be passed by the Gatekeeper.
- This tech highlight enables you to combine your preferred Macintosh gadget with your MacBook or a Macintosh PC. This is an element that will be extremely helpful for persevering experts who are on a steady run. All things considered, the reasonableness with the element. Presently for this component to work you need a Mac that is 2013 or more seasoned. There is a period of flight highlight that is soaked up inside the element to keep assaults from transfer utilization so your gadget is additionally not abused.
- The general clipboard is the partner with the auto-open element. In the event that your Mac framework is matched alongside your iOS 10 gadgets, at that point you can share the connections that you have replicated or reorder over the gadgets that are combined alongside your gadgets. This is additionally useful in sharing rich substances like photographs, recordings also over the stages. The general clipboard highlight was all around refreshing by the end-clients because of the coordination of the gadgets over the different apple gadgets.
- Presently the Mac clients can utilize different pictures inside a few pictures. This will assist the client in accessing more than each image in turn and is unquestionably a shelter for the individuals who are associated with altering photographs. You can likewise play recordings in the application while there are a few foundation applications that are running behind. There are a ton of other extra adaptabilities too that empowers the image in picture highlight to be a great hit among the clients.
- This is a similar element that is available in the past age of the Mac OS arrangement however with a little change. Before you couldn’t set the time at which the night mode must enact, yet with this Mountain Lion OS, you can set the favored time at which you need to flip the night mode. This can be set by heading off to the Preferences tab in the settings instrument. This element was particularly helpful for individuals who work nonstop on their frameworks.
- The Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO has a significant redesign in the Gatekeeper UI by including two new security includes that make the use of your framework a lot more secure and spare you from information burglary. There is an Anywhere alternative in the framework inclination tab that enables the client to execute programming programs without getting consent to run the equivalent.
System Requirements for Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO
- MacBook Pro – Mid 2010 or later.
- MacBook Air – Late 2010 or later.
- Mac smaller than expected – Mid 2010 or later.
- Mac Pro – Mid 2010 or later.
- iMac-2009 or later.
Mac Os X 10.7 Lion Download
Download Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO
Free Download Mac Os X Lion
We ensure that you are satisfied with the information that we have provided on Download Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO and DMG Image. Learn the procedure of downloading Download Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO and DMG Image. This version of macOS won’t harm your system yet it will offer you advanced features and smooth functioning over the workflow. If you ever come across the doubts in downloading Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 ISO and DMG Image then feel free to drop in the query in the comment box and our team of experts will try to solve the query in the least possible time.